People use social skills to communicate and interact with others, both verbally and non-verbally. These are the fundamentals of a positive and healthy relationship. As a leader, you’ve probably heard expressions like “walk the talk”, “role model”, and “be the example”. As it describes the leadership position and the responsibilities it entails. The purpose of leadership is to create an environment where team members can continually learn from their mistakes.
1. Self-Development: Identifying your strengths and improvement areas is the first step to go through this self-development process. As a leader, you will be more interested in their work, capable of understanding their development needs and acting to improve their performance. Self-development is an ongoing process that brings improvement but it is sometimes quite challenging and naturally, a difficult task.
2. Team Development: Leaders should create a psychologically secure atmosphere where individuals may show weakness and ask for feedback. Having as few blind spots as possible is achievable through constant feedback. Instead of trying to fill up the skill gap, concentrate on your employee’s capabilities.
To teach your team members, Follow these steps:
- Embrace your knowledge and experience: Compare your current self to your old self, not to other professionals. It may help you realise how far you’ve come and how much knowledge and skill you’ve gained. The goal is to become your best version and to conquer your fears and insecurities.
- Accept your own inadequacies: Make an accurate self-assessment about your own abilities. Make a list of your strengths and areas for improvement, then act on it.
- Let go of perfection: Take time to admire and be proud of yourself. Learn to rejoice in your victories.
How Self-awareness Can Support This Process
As a leader, you should promote a learning culture that fosters multi-dimensional growth. Individuals and organisations benefit from a more holistic and humanised working environment that encourages learning and risk-taking.
Looking to hire Leaders for your firm?
Trust Cornerstone! One of the Top Executive Search Firms in Canada!